THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT, 4 OF 2013
EFFECTIVE DATE: 1 JULY 2021
- Collection of data
- Employees and prospective employees
- Individuals screened for COVID 19
- Sharing information
- Information Security
- Your legal rights
- Changes to this policy
This notice explains how we obtain, use and disclose your personal information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”)
Idea Hive (Pty) Ltd (Idea Hive) is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information of our data subjects and to ensure that the personal information that we collect and used in in a manner that is proper, lawful and transparent. The information you share with us as a data subject allows us to provide you with the best experience with our products and services.
It is important that you take all necessary and appropriate steps to protect your data yourself (for example, by ensuring that all passwords and access codes are kept secure).
Idea Hive has dedicated policies and procedures in place to protect all personal information collected and processed by us. Please read below for more information on how we collect, process, use and disclose personal information.
Registered address: Albury Office Park, 1 Magalieszicht Crescent, Dunkeld West, Randburg, 2196
Information officer contact details: Yaw Dwomoh (firstname.lastname@example.org or +27 11 367 0672)
Deputy information officers contact details: Sera Pande (email@example.com or +27 11 367 0672)
Candice Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org or +27 11 367 0672)
Collection of data
Where information is not collected directly from you as a data subject, we will take reasonable steps to inform you of the fact that the information was collected and will be processed.
You must not send us personal information about someone else without first getting his or her consent for it to be used and disclosed in the ways set out in this policy. This is because we will assume he or she has consented although we may still ask for confirmation from them. Where you do give us information about someone else, or someone else discloses a connection with you, that information may be taken into account with your other personal information.
Employees and prospective employees
Idea Hive must process personal information of their employees for various legal and employment purposes. Prospective employees, in applying for a position at Idea Hive, may be required to provide us with personal information as part of the application process. We may also obtain personal information while performing the required background check, reference check and credit check if relevant.
The information that will be processed with regards to employees and prospective employees is as follows:
- a) Name and contact details
- b) Identity number and identity documents including passports
- c) Employment history and references
- d) Banking and financial details
- e) Medical aid records
- f) Pension Fund records
- g) Remuneration/salary records
- h) Performance appraisals
- i) Disciplinary records
- j) Leave records
Idea Hive will process the personal information for the following purposes:
- a) Verification of applicant employees’ information during recruitment process b) General matters relating to employees:
- Medical aid
- Disciplinary action
- c) Any other reasonably required purpose relating to the employment or possible employment relationship.
In order for us to provide you with the best service, we need to collect and process personal information from you as a client. This information will consist of, but is not limited to, the following:
- a) Postal and/or street addresses
- b) Title and name
- c) Contact numbers and/or e-mail addresses
- d) Gender
- e) Financial information
- f) Browsing habits and click patterns on Idea Hive (Pty) websites or platforms Idea Hive will process the personal information for the following purposes:
- a) Performing duties in terms of any agreement with the client
- b) Operating and managing clients’ accounts and managing any application, agreement or correspondence the client may have with Idea Hive (Pty) Ltd c) Communicating (including direct marketing) with the client by email, SMS, letter, telephone, social media or in any other way about products and services, unless the client indicate otherwise
- d) To form a view of the client as individuals and to identify, develop or improve products, that may be of interest to the client
- e) Carrying out market research, business and statistical analysis
- f) Any other reasonably required purpose relating to Idea Hive’s business
Idea Hive will keep your personal information confidential at all times, however, you agree and consent that Idea Hive may:
- a) Communicate with you electronically in relation with the service or product being provided (email, fax, telephone or through any other relevant or secured electronic platform)
- b) Obtain any relevant personal information, from any person or institution, necessary to comply with the agreement between you and Idea Hive
- c) Obtain credit information from any person or institution where necessary d) Verify the information provided herein and to contact other third party for purposes of the same
- e) Disclose personal information to regulatory or government agencies in accordance with the relevant legislation or directive
- f) Use personal information to market new or other products of the company which may be suitable or relevant to you
Individuals screened for COVID 19
The personal information collected is necessary to comply with the COVID 19 screening as required by the Disaster Management Act and supplementary regulations and directives. This information will be kept confidential unless disclosure is required by law, e.g. should a positive case be identified. If you do not provide the information as required, we can limit or refuse you access to the premises.
Where the legal basis for us processing your personal information is consent as above, it will be included in the contract or agreement concluded with you. This consent may be withdrawn at any time, however this withdrawal of consent will not make processing we undertook before your withdrawal unlawful. You will not suffer any detriment for withdrawing your consent.
Where the legal basis for processing is for the proper performance of the contract, and you fail to provide us with the information or request us to stop processing this information, it may create limitations on our performance of the contract or agreement.
In processing your personal information, we may share it with third party processors under an operator’s agreement. These include but are not limited to:
- a) Payment processors
- b) Email management and distribution tools
- c) Data storage providers
- d) Server hosts
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes; or • Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
As an operator, these service providers will not be able to process or use your data for any reason other than to provide the service as required by us. They also need to implement proper safeguards to ensure the personal information is secured at all times.
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure.
Our security policies and procedures will cover:
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and usage of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
Idea Hive is required to comply with various different legislative retention periods, which leads to different retention requirements. Idea Hive will retain your personal information only for as long as it is necessary for the purposes set out in this Notice. We will retain and use personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements and policies.
Your legal rights
You have the following rights under the Protection of Personal Information Act:
- a) Request access to your personal information
- b) Request a correction or deletion of personal information
- c) Object to the processing of personal information
- d) Lodge a complaint to the Information Regulator
If you want to exercise any of the rights described above, or are dissatisfied with the way we have used your personal information, please contact the information officer.
Changes to this policy